Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Lipstick Tree

When we were at St. Kitts last week,
we stopped to visit the Botanical Gardens on the island
and were introduced to the Lipstick Tree.A close up.
The pods look kind of like BIG strawberries.Here is our tour guide holding an open pod in his hand. Once opened there are little seeds inside
and when broken a red dye can be used.
He put some on his lips
to show why it is called the lipstick tree.
You can also see some on his face which
was used for face paint and it was also used for nail polish.
It stays on until you wash it off.
He didn't let me take his picture
until he was holding up the sign.
He didn't want people to think he wore lipstick all the time! :-)

I'll post more pictures of the gardens in the following days.

5 comments:

  1. The lipstick tree is new to me, but it sounds fascinating. Not only does it provide cosmetics, but the tree is beautiful as well. I likethe pods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a lipstick tree, cheaper than Max Factor. Are the fruits edible?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this type of tree before, but it looks amazing. Wonderful pictures, they capture the distinct look of the pods and tree very well.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. Thanks for stopping by.
Want to add a smile to my day?
Leave a comment. :-)