Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Mulberry Tree its not

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a leaf and pod from a tree in my parents yard and asked what is it. When Mary suggested it was a Mulberry Tree and after looking at some pictures I thought it was. This past weekend I went up the see my parents again and my dad said it wasn't a Mulberry Tree and showed me some photos and I agree that's not what it is.
I took some more pictures of it.
The leaves are very large and all of them are the same shape.
Some of them a foot long.
The red things are not fruit but seed pods.
Close up of the Trunk
Looking up at the tree.
The tree

5 comments:

  1. What do you think of this tree? The fruit looks kind of like it and the leaves. I think it's easier for you to tell since you saw it in person...

    Love,
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just might be it Debbi. I'm going to send the link to grandpa and see what he says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely tree, sorry I have no idea what it is. Debbi may be right.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love a mystery? Did you take a sample home? Maybe you could take it to Riverhill Nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an answer for your Dad!!


    CUCUMBERTREE MAGNOLIA (Magnolia acuminata)
    This magnolia's funny name comes from the look of the seed pods. It blooms later that other species. It should start flowering in late May or early June. If your area is prone to late spring frosts, like my zone 5 garden in Des Moines, this later flowering might get you past that surprise cold snap without damaging the new blooms.

    Cucumbertree magnolia flowers are only mildly fragrant and greenish yellow. The cultivars include Elizabeth, with primrose colored yellow flowers, Butterflies with deeper yellow flowers and Gold Crown, with very deep yellow, late opening flowers. In warmer climates the yellow fades to creamy white as the flowers age in the heat.

    This one is a bit difficult to transplant and won't be happy if you have to move it later, so be sure you've given it the space for it to reach its 40foot tall and wide final size. Cucumbertree magnolia is hardy in usda zones 4 to 8.


    http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=55

    from my very sweet professor from the old days of horticulture college! Love ya, Pamie

    ReplyDelete

Hi there. Thanks for stopping by.
Want to add a smile to my day?
Leave a comment. :-)